Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Interview with RYLA applicant James F





























Below is the interview that James F gave to the local Leader newspaper and this will be published in the near future.















~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tell me about RYLA

RYLA is an international award which began in Australia in 1959, RYLA Rotary Youth Leadership Award, 9810 District, is an annual week long camp which builds strong leaders and lifelong friends. The 6 day residential seminar is for 18-26 year olds who are active volunteers, have demonstrated or have potential leadership qualities.

Your role in the community?

Youth Services recommend me for RYLA after having successfully complete a term on the City of Glen Eira’ Youth Consultative Group YCG 08-09 where youth organize and run events for youth. We ran Glen Eira’s first Battle of the Bands which was a huge success and also an Art exposition during National Youth Week.

I am currently working towards a Duke Of Edinburgh Award as an independent participant which has challenged me to dedicate some time to community service like volunteer lifesaving, fundraising through Young set for the Royal Children’s Hospital, technical volunteering at the RAAF museum and I was a volunteer for this years international Airshow at Avalon.

What did you learn?

Topics presented included
relationships in business and leadership
Rules and Values
Planning for the biggest event of your life/ Goal setting
Decision making
Public speaking
Career planning
Servant leadership
Overcoming obstacles
Leadership/ management and systems engineering
Problem solving and conflict management
Rotary: covering their purpose and service to the community.
Psychology of Leadership

The emphasis was on learning by applying. This was achieved through moving presentations and activities, fun group challenge exercises and tool box meetings were we effectively discussed and applied the critical aspects of these topics.

What did you find the most challenging?

Apart form being away from family with a large group of strangers, the greatest challenge for me was meal times. I now miss this part of RYLA the most and not just because of the plentiful food. We were encouraged to gain confidence in public speaking by presenting a 60 second passion speech or an impromptu talk linking in random topics out of the ‘grab box’. For example talk for no more than 60 seconds about the Queen, Africa and strawberries.

I stepped up to present a passion talk about something important to me; the “power of goal setting”, how one needs to search their heart for the answers and turn dreams into achievable goals, something I learnt when I took up the Kokoda trail Youth Challenge in 2007 through Bentleigh RSL sponsorship. I admit it is not easy, you are standing there in front of every one and it doesn’t feel right. This feeling was something we learnt called nervous energy in the Public Speaking presentation given by David Forster, the Rotary District 9810 Governor. Nervous energy actually turns out to be good for you but needs to be harnessed for best results. Among other things he discussed with us about public speaking included delivery, body language and speaking aids.

How will RYLA help you in the future?

We have established an ongoing support network and great friendships. We have the opportunity to come back as a RYLA leader.

I have greater awareness and understand of how I and others approach leadership, which areas I need to improve and how to improve them. What tools I need to further refine these skills backed by my RYLA experience.

Continue to apply and develop these new skills by joining a Rotarct Club open to 18-30 year olds. Rotaract focus on developing networks, friendships, volunteering, changing lives and new skills.

Overall thoughts?

I struck gold. It was the perfect free weekend away, rolling hills like in the movie ‘The Sound of Music’. The venue Lake Dewar in Myrniong Victoria is spectacular. I meet some great people; have made some excellent friends who will continue to support each other and have gained valuable life and leadership tools to guarantee success in the future. I had so much fun that I wanted to stay at the end.

On behalf of all the 2009 RYLA participants, we are very much appreciative of all that the leaders, coordinators, guest speakers and sponsoring Rotary clubs have done for us. We are especially thankful for the RYLA young leaders who sacrificed and endured so much for us and for the courage and mateship they have shown to us. Thank you all so very much we are truly grateful.

Advice to others who want to become leaders in their community

Take up every challenge with both hands open. It is important to not waste time believing you can’t. Believe in yourself. Find someone who will support and encourage you like a mentor; someone experienced in your area of interest, someone you trust. Follow your dreams by goal setting. Leave no great opportunity unturned that presents itself. Talk to as many people as possible about your interests to build networks and relationships.

You need a positive attitude which is set by behaviors, thoughts and feelings. You can change your attitude by changing one of the three but behavior and thoughts are easier to change than feelings.

My favorite quote from the seminar is from the presentation on Attitude presented by a past RYLA participant now a young RYLA leader:

“I have missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been trusted to take the game winning shot…and I missed. I have failed over and over and over again in my life and that’s precisely why I succeed”
Michael Jordan, one of NBA’s greatest

How can I to get involved:
I encourage anyone 18 to 26 years old interested in the 2010 RYLA Rotary Youth Leadership Award in July at Lake Dewar to contact Rotary.

Applications (by June 2010)
http://www.rotary9810.org/content/90/RYLA.html
Don Kerley District Chair
Email: dkerley@bigpond.net.au
Contact 1300 4ROTARY

No comments: