Thursday, February 23, 2012

Helen's Headlines - Monday 20th February 2012

Apologies for the slight delay in uploading my blog posts as I'm finding it hard to be as responsive as I was previously. This job is quite busy and hours long so the last thing I want to do after work is sit in front of a computer. On the plus side, the work is rewarding, I'm working with a wonderful team of people and it's a pleasure to go into work every day which is a long way from where I was last year!

Now to Rotary matters at hand...

Well our last of the guest speakers for the Connecting Business with Community networking events have finished and I hope that everyone enjoyed the February series! Admittedly I did enjoy them all and learned so much about the challenges that businesses undergo nowadays to grow and develop their business to keep our economy going.

In particularly I learned that technology and social media are changing the face of business; that what we knew about marketing in the past, cannot be used in the future - through connected online networks, people can decide whether your business lives or dies. I learned some simple techniques to save some money and that being environmentally friendly doesn't mean it costing me money and I learned that there's a small group of volunteers out there who provide mentoring services to businesses in need - that when there are droughts, floods or natural disasters - the livelihood of people goes and they would need just as much support to re-establish their business as others who haven't gone through this trauma.

Thank you to Greg, Ian and Philip for your assistance with the co-ordination of these events and thanks to everyone for being great hosts and making all our guests feel welcome.

The July events are already in progress. I've got a couple of speakers booked already. The topics will be on: "How to Increase Profits of Your Business"; "Closing Your Business" (hope that it's not too depressing). I'm thinking of a third speaker from Monash Health Foundation to talk about 'Corporate Social Responsibility: What Businesses Can Do to Connect with their Community" and followed by a vocational tour of the Intensive Care Unit. The benefit of these events now is that I have guest speakers approaching me to come to speak at our events and I have to fend them off for a few months! (We still need to actively promote these into our local area).

On an aside, I am now part of the District Vocational Services Committee for 2012-2013 with the aim to roll out these business networking events across other clubs who may like to do the same. The Vocational Service suite of programs are being revamped and in DGN's year are more likely to receive much more prominence than they have in previous years so we can 'get the business back to Rotary'. I have been asked to present the concept to PETS on Sunday 4th March and to the District Conference in April. However, now scratching my head to think up of what to say and need to find some time to create the presentation!

Other than that, I had an email from our GSE Recipient Kathryn who mentioned that she is getting married to Hayden on 1 March and that she is quite excited. She is leaving RMIT due to organisational restructuring and just looking forward to getting married and going overseas on her honeymoon then exploring job opportunities when she gets back. She passes on her regards to the club.

You may have seen by now the flyer for the Welcoming Dinner for the Incoming GSE team on Tuesday 27 March at Dingley International. We will not have our regular Monday meeting and instead, should you and your partner join us on this night, you are welcome to attend. It is $40 for a 2 course meal and it promises to be an enjoyable night as these nights always are. Come and learn about the culture of the Texans - and I do hope they will be wearing big cowboy hats and belt buckles!

Speedy Recovery

My best wishes also goes to Susan who has taken a leave of absence for a few months to undergo surgery for her back. I hope that this will finally ease her back pain so that she can get mobile again.

Also to Sheila, it's always difficult when we're in pain that stops our mobility so I hope that the issue is sorted to get back on your feet!

We were shocked to hear the news of Kevin who came off his bike and we wish him a speedy recovery and rehab to get back to his usual self and see him back at the club once again.

Global Illumination Ceremony

For those of you who are interested, on Saturday night the End Polio Now global illumination ceremony will occur at Federation Square at 8:30pm. Why not make a night of it by enjoying a meal in town and then watching the lights light up for Melbourne. If you won't be there, the display will be on for the next 3 days and this will promote Rotary to all Melbournites and seen by the rest of the world.

Have a great week everyone and see you on Monday night at Cell Care at Heatherton and followed by sangers and drinks at Melbourne Golf Academy. I'll be bringing my clubs - that's for sure.

1 comment:

alexbethperry said...

Sorry to hear of your back pain! It's something I have suffered with to since having children so I really do sympathize. There are electric beds available now that I have found to help massively - maybe you should look into it?